Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July - Independence Day...

Happy 4th, Independence day.. Do you actually know what this day means??

Yes, it's a stupid question to many of you, but you'd be surprised how many "Americans" don't know the answer.

YEP, sad but true, I mean with all your holidays, Memorial Day, Labor Day etc, it gets kind of confusing right?? LOL

I felt bad when I'd asked what the other holidays meant (seemed quicker than googling the info and I honestly wanted to know) and they DIDN'T know, just that it was a holiday!!

The 4th really got me, I tried to help by saying, "well if it's Independence Day then you must be celebrating Independence from somebody" I got a few blank looks and comments about, a day off work, BBQ's and fireworks..

Okey Dokey, I left it alone.. I mean don't want people to think I only know about this holiday because it's when America became independent of us Brits, do I now??

Anyhoo, below is a little history lesson about the 4th of July.. Whatever you all do, be safe and have a wonderful day.

---
In the United States, Independence Day (commonly known as "the Fourth of July","July Fourth", or even simply "The Fourth") is a federal holiday celebrating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776 declaring independence from Great Britain.

Independence Day is commonly associated with fireworks, parades, barbecues, picnics, baseball games, and various other public and private events celebrating the history, government, and traditions of the United States. Fireworks have been associated with the Fourth of July since 1777.

No comments: