Saturday, October 6, 2007

Track star Marion Jones admits steroid use


Sad, sad, sad.

----

US sprint star Marion Jones finally stopped running from the truth on Friday, admitting she took banned steroids prior to her triumphant 2000 Olympic campaign.

The belated confession, after years of vehement doping denials, could see her stripped of the five medals she won in Sydney, three of them gold.

And the guilty plea she entered in a US court - to lying to a federal agent about both her drug use and an unrelated fraud case - could land her behind bars.

"I want you to know I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me," a tearful Jones said after her court appearance.

"Because of my actions, I am retiring from the sport of track and field, a sport which I deeply loved."

Jones, struggling for composure as her mother stood behind her, asked her fans for forgiveness.

"It is with a great amount of shame that I stand before you to tell you that I have betrayed ... your trust," she said. "I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions."

Full Story HERE

No comments: