Tuesday, November 20, 2007

History Lesson: Saartjie Baartman

Hi all,

This video was forwarded to me by my friend Lila.

I not only found the video shocking, but was also angry at myself that I as a black woman had never heard of Sara Baartman, and considering her trials happened in my hometown of London I was even more disgusted with myself. After further researching her story on the web, I felt I had to share my new found knowledge.

What happened to Sara could have easily happened to you or I, had we been born in a different time and place.

Below is a brief synopsis of Sara’s story, please view the video, listen to the narration, and if you don’t already know, get to know.

------

Sara is the short-name used these days for Saartjie Baartman, a Khoisan slave woman who at the tender age of 20 was taken from Cape Town to London and then on to Paris to be displayed naked in their streets and at their circuses like an animal her European audiences viewed her to be. Her story is a tearful and moving one. It is at once the story of an everyday woman, a human being, one of us, treated in the most grotesque ways, used as "scientific proof" of "European white superiority."

Her biography can be read HERE



No comments: